Pages

Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Culture of Fear

I had my early education in a system which promoted a culture of fear deep beneath the whole system. I did my initial studies in the local medium schools where a teacher’s word is final. There is no question of dialogue. As I was going through the Parker Palmer’s Chapter on The Culture of Fear I became aware of my educational learning and fear I went through. Positive fear helped me do well in the studies but the negative fear that was within me lessoned my confidence in myself. I used have great fear to stand in front of people or students and say something.
I did not want this happen to my students whom I taught in Jamshedpur for two years. I really like the quotation of Palmer: The way we diagnose our student’s condition will determine the kind of remedy we offer. I taught mainly English to my non-English speaking students who considered English as a dreaded subject because they were not able to understand. So I was before joining the Jesuit order. Thank God, that my principal was very supportive of me and I was able to bring many changes among the students based on the cooperative learning. I changed the text books and used simple story books and songs. Students were divided into groups and every group has to teach the whole class. This instilled in them great confidence to come forward and speak before other students. As a net result, I conducted a session to the English teachers of Government schools on how to teach English to the non-English speaking students, in the presence of some of my students. I myself was amazed by seeing the learning and growth in my students within a year. It was a moment of grace for me and it was a proof that if I as an educator change, my students too will change.
As Palmer rightly points out that there is something wrong in our system of knowing and learning. We need to move from objective mode of learning to a heart of learning which is based on relationship, connectedness and community, where everyone can feel at home with oneself and with others. I greatly appreciate Barbara McClintock on her research on genetic transposition. She is a great role model for our need to change our education system.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Vinod, Thank you for sharing about the fear that you went through in school to the point that your self-confidence was effected. I myself was fearful of school too, especially elementary school, and I was not motivated to learn. Thanks be to God's grace that all of that changed later. I commend and congratulate you!! You really did make a difference by changing the way they teach English so that your students were not fearful of learning English, but could embrace it and be open to learning it (while having tons of fun). You made a difference for those children and the entire school!!! BRAVO!!! Learning is about the heart, about relationships, about connecting.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Vinod. Thank you for sharing your experience of fear in school. I think it is something that we have all experienced, yet few of us talk about it. It is great that we as educators are trying to change the fear that students have in school. It is so great that you found a new way to teach your students English that they can relate to and learn from. That is a quality that makes you a great teacher and role model for your students. You will be missed next week in class, but I look forward to reading your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so interesting to learn about your experiences! I think you brought up an important point to help curb fear in teaching - supportive principal. If we feel that our administration encourages us and supports us that helps us teachers feel confident and protected to teach how we feel we can best reach and inspire students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessed be God!

    Dear Vinod,
    You said that "Positive fear helped you do well in the studies but the negative fear that was within you lessoned your confidence in yourself." It is so important you made the distinction between the two and identified them as "positive and negative".
    I admired the way you used your personal experience to make a difference in the life of the students you teach today!
    Congratulations! I am sure your students feel confident and secure when you teach them.
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete

Hi This is Vinod Fernandes SJ